We're an ordinary family, complete with picky eaters, budget concerns, and time management issues. But to prove that "eating local" works - even for busy families in cooler climates - we're trading Chick-Fil-A and goldfish crackers for grassfed meat and local produce. Join our adventure in learning to eat (sort of) sustainably for the summer!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

What to expect in the weeks to come

Okay, here's what I'm thinking you can expect to see in my updates each week -

  1. Grocery lists showing what I got where, and roughly how much it cost.  My CSA comes on Friday, I hit the farmers' market on Saturday, and Monday seems to be my "extra" grocery day since the West Side Market is open and less crowded than on Saturday.  I'm thinking the grocery lists will show up here on the site on Mondays or Tuesdays.
  2. Menus showing what we ate when for each week this summer.  This will let you know how we use up the produce, when we cheat a little and order a pizza, and how we deal with leftovers.  Since we have to start scrambling to use up CSA produce on Fridays, it makes sense to calculate the "weeks" from Friday to Thursday.  I'm hoping to be able to post the menu plans on Fridays or Saturdays.
  3. Recipes that use some of the less "normal" ingredients we get in the CSA bag or find at the farmers' market, as well as off-the-cuff combinations of seasonal ingredients that my family particularly enjoyed.  These won't take as long to type up as the previous things, so I'll post them as they occur, hopefully at least one a week.
  4. Links to local suppliers whose products we especially enjoy.  This could be anything from the guy at the farmers' market with the awesome bacon, to the eggs we buy at the West Side Market, Miss Dorothy our peach supplier ... but there will always be enough information there for you to locate them yourself, if you're interested.  I'll also be updating the links in the sidebar as I find new suppliers.  Again, I'd like to do at least one a week.
If you can think of any other topics you'd like to see covered, either once or on a regular basis, I'd love to have your suggestions.  Just stick them in the comments below, and I'll see what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment