We're an ordinary family, complete with picky eaters, budget concerns, and time management issues. But to prove that "eating local" works - even for busy families in cooler climates - we're trading Chick-Fil-A and goldfish crackers for grassfed meat and local produce. Join our adventure in learning to eat (sort of) sustainably for the summer!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Taza Chocolate

A few months ago I made a trade with an online acquaintance - I sent her a cloak my mother had made me back in college, and she sent me whatever she thought it was worth in trade.  She loved the cloak, and she was extremely generous when she selected things for my return package.

It has taken me a while to find projects worthy of the hand-dyed cashmere yarn she sent, but the Taza Chocolate got used right away.  She sent a couple of the single-source bars, as well as packages of the cinnamon and chile flavored discs.  I loved them all - the grainy texture from the stone grinding is interesting, sort of like cornmeal or something - and the chile version was hands-down my favorite.  But it's expensive, and I'm the only one here who liked it, so I thought it was going to be a one-shot deal ...

But Taza Chocolate is organic. Raised and manufactured sustainably.  Sourced from Latin and South America, so the food miles are actually reasonable (Cleveland-Belize is about 1700 miles; Cleveland-Honolulu (the only domestic cacao growing location) is more than 4500 miles).  That's close enough to "local" for me, especially where chocolate is concerned.

Guess who's placing an order for her guilty luxury as soon as I'm sure I'll be here to accept the shipment?

No comments:

Post a Comment